- path of exile
- how to sell stuff on poe trade%26687661620
How to sell stuff on Poe.Trade
Trading with other players is a surprisingly major part of Path of Exile. You can fight monsters without it, but sooner or later, you will want to buy or sell items to progress more reliably. However, sheer item variety and the nuances of the trading system make it difficult to get into. Learning how to sell stuff on PoE.Trade is essential if you are to succeed. This Path of Exile how to sell on PoE.Trade guide will tell you all you need to know before you can get started with this useful tool.
Trading in Path of Exile
The trading system in Path of Exile is different from most multiplayer RPGs. For one thing, there is no one currency like gold in other titles. That role is filled by dozens of items used in crafting, such as the various robs. Chaos Orbs are the most popular, making them the closest to a universal medium of exchange. Another difference is the absence of an in-game marketplace or auction house. That is the gap that tools like PoE.Trade or the (sadly less reliable) official trade page try to fill.
How to sell items in Path of Exile
Before we move on to how to sell stuff on PoE trade, it is worth going over how in-game trading works. To engage in trading, you must have at least one level 25 character and not be playing in a Solo Self-Found league. Without a marketplace, all deals are made character-to-character. There is no mail either, so you will have to track down your trading partner in the game world. Fortunately, if you know who you want to deal with, you can visit them in their hideout. The process goes as follows:
- Right-click on the character in-game or invite them into your party through the chat and right-click on their portrait;
- Click “trade” to open the trading screen;
- Find the items you want to trade in your inventory and move them to your side of the trading screen;
- Your trading partner should place the items they offer in exchange on their side of the trading screen;
- You can haggle over the chat;
- The items will be exchanged instantly once you accept the trade proposal.
This barter system can make it very difficult to find out either the supply or the demand. Checking the trade chat can help you find deals in real time, but it is all too easy to miss offers. The multiple trading sub-fora on the official forum let players share their offers in a more permanent way. You can also buy premium stash tabs from the store. In addition to helping you organize them, the premium status means your tabs can be shown to other players, streamlining the trading process.
What items can you sell in Path of Exile?
One fascinating aspect of the Path of Exile trading system is that you can sell virtually anything. Quest items are the main exception. Some league mechanic-related items cannot be traded either. Otherwise, you can buy or sell anything, from ordinary gear or consumables to challenge completions from the PoE Challenges Boost. The only other limitation is that you need to have the items in your inventory to exchange them, rather than in your stash, so make sure to move them first.
How to sell things on PoE.Trade
PoE.Trade is the most popular and up-to-date shop indexer site for Path of Exile. A shop indexer is essentially a third-party auction house. It collects information from trading forum threads and public premium stash tabs, presenting it in an easy to parse way. The information updates every few minutes. Using it, you will be able to find any items you want and learn the desired price and contact details of suppliers. You will also learn what other players might offer in return for your goods.
Using the search function
The variety of tradable items and the size of the player community mean that you will not get far with PoE.Trade without mastering the search function. Those are the main things you should know about it:
- Items can only be traded within the same league, so make sure you pick the one your character is on, especially if you are using a PoE Level Boost;
- You can search for items by name, by their stats and other characteristics, or by both. If you are not immediately sure as to what you need or get too many unwanted results, you can keep narrowing down the search conditions without needing to return to the front page;
- There are many random rolls and modifiers in Path of Exile, so pay attention to the stats or specify them to match your needs from the start. Two items with the same name can be very different mechanically;
- Note that you can search for specific modifiers, such as the enchants from the PoE Labyrinth Boost. Simply type in the effect under Mods or click the suggestions that show up. It is also possible to look for any feasible combination of modifiers by using search commands;
- Search results are initially sorted by the requested price (if any). However, you can sort them by any characteristic by clicking on it. That can be helpful in a variety of situations, including searching for higher-level skill gems or seeking higher elemental resistances on gear when planning to go for PoE Bosses Kills;
- You can use “pseudo” searches to seek out certain effects that are not formal modifiers as far as the game is concerned;
- If you just want to exchange currencies, it would be more efficient to use the designated currency market window (also accessible in the top right corner of the PoE.Trade main page);
- The live search function allows you to run searches repeatedly and automatically. Items that meet your search requirements (which otherwise work the same way as normal search) will trigger notifications when they show up. That way, you can snatch the desired items up as soon as they appear.
Selling an item with PoE.Trade
Here are the instructions on how to sell an item on PoE.Trade without spending points bought with real money on a premium stash tab:
- Start a thread under any name in your league’s selling sub-forum;
- Go to your account in the upper left corner of the Path of Exile site;
- Select one of your characters and navigate to their stash;
- Left-click once on the item you want to sell;
- Paste the link that will give you in the selling thread;
- Optionally, specify the desired price using a code after the link. The trade code words may be found here. For example, a buyout price of one Chaos Orb can be rendered as “~price 1 chaos”;
- Post the thread and wait. After five to ten minutes, the item will be added to PoE.Trade .if anyone is interested in buying the item from you for the specified price, they will contact you in chat.
The premium stash tab can save you a lot of time and effort. Instead of the entire above process, you will just need to make the stash tab public and then set the prices for your items. You can price each item individually or set the same price for each item in the tab. This method may be worth the price required to unlock it if you plan to spend a lot of time trading in Path of Exile.
Buying an item is even simpler. When you see an item you want on PoE.Trade, click the Whisper button. That will create a fully-formed message in your clipboard. Pasting it in chat will send a message to the player in question, specifying the item you want and its position in that player’s stash. After that, it will just be a matter of arranging a meeting and conducting the exchange.
Path of Exile trading tips
Knowing how to sell item on PoE.Trade is only half the battle. There is also knowing when and what to buy or sell. Of course, that depends in large part on your priorities. If you simply want to finalize your build and enter the Atlas of the Worlds endgame more quickly, that suggests one trading strategy. Playing the market for its own sake or for some more esoteric purpose will recommend different behavior. Also, the game is always changing, and the economic value of items changes with it.
Nonetheless, there are some general tips that can help you make the most of PoE.Trade once you have figured out how to use it:
- Use Chaos Orbs and Exalted Orbs for trading. Crafting is a difficult and unpredictable process, and it is unlikely to be profitable, especially for beginners. Saving orbs for trade and buying upgraded gear is the surer bet. Those two orb types are especially valuable because most people accept them in trade, so try to accumulate them by all possible means;
- When deciding what price to set for an item, check the current prices for other items that are similar to yours. It will at least give you some idea of the realistic price range, as no one will buy an item for much dearer while there are identical cheaper alternatives;
- Be prepared to walk away from bad deals. If you cannot sell your items for at least one Chaos Orb, it is probably not worth it, and you would be better off trying again later when there is more demand. Likewise, be prepared to extend or entertain counter-offers, but do not get bogged down in haggling. Remember, time is money (which is also why time-saving tools like the premium stash might be a good investment);
- Buying and selling can be invaluable for many builds, especially ones that rely on rarer items. It is a good idea in general to plan out your build in advance. Guides and professional services like our PoE Coaching Service can be useful in that regard. Having made such a plan, start keeping an eye out for any items you will need in the future on PoE.Trade and buy them when you see good opportunities;
- Putting your build first is generally a better idea than trying to play the market, unless that is your main focus. A successfully developed build can also farm items for sale more consistently, giving you a greater edge only slightly later in the leveling race.
How we can help
In general, trading is advantageous because it can save you the time and effort that would otherwise go into grinding for items yourself. Being able to buy what you require on a short notice could greatly improve your experience in the game. Tools like PoE.Trade or premium stash tabs help make trading a truly viable activity in Path of Exile. There are also trading apps that can help automate the process and save more time. However, sometimes those instruments are not enough.
Even if you have the hang of trading, you cannot make a fortune out of nothing. That is where our PoE Boosting services come in. Between our regular services and custom orders, we can farm any part of the game’s content quickly and efficiently. That will ensure a steady stream of items for you to sell or use as you see fit. You can also order a PoE Orbs Boost to increase your currency supply directly, fuelling any market plays that you might want to make. The choice is yours.